Measuring Sky Brightness
A program to measure sky brightness in Missouri.
Sky Brightness Measurement Program
Our Chapter has partnered with Truman State University in Kirksville, MO, to offer two exciting programs that provide public institutions such as parks, recreational areas, educational institutions and municipalities with "Sky Quality Meters" ("SQM") to measure sky brightness at their location. Data collected by these SQMs will be used in scientific analysis and to develop programs to reduce light pollution. Funding for the purchase of the SQM's is provided by the NASA-Missouri Space Grant Consortium.
If you already have an SQM and would like to contribute your measurements to our study, please Register Your Site.
If you are interested in applying for a one-year loaner under our program, please Apply.
Sky Quality Meter Locations
Note: The publishing of graphs related to this project has been temporarily delayed due to COVID-19.
ACTIVE - IDA Missouri program
- ASKC Kansas City, MO (Z5) - View details
- ASKC, Lawson, MO (Z5) - View details
- Broemmelsiek Park, Defiance, MO (Z2) - View details
- City of Ozark, MO (Z4) -View details
- City of Perryville, MO (Z3) - View details
- Jefferson College, Hillsboro, MO (Z2) - View details
- Laws Observatory, Columbia, MO (Z6) - View details
- Litzsinger Road Ecology Center, Ladue, MO (Z2) - View details
- Magruder Hall, Kirksville, MO (Z1) - View details
- Mineral Area College, Park Hills, MO (Z3) - View details
- Missouri State Parks at Echo Bluff (Z3) - View details
- Missouri State Parks at Grand Gulf (Z3) - View details
- Missouri State Parks at Thousand Hills (Z1) - View details
- S&T Astronomical Society, Rolla, MO (Z3) - View details
- Southeast Missouri State University, Cape Girardeau, MO (Z3) - View details
- Stacy Park, Olivette, MO (Z2) - View details
- Truman State Observatory, Kirksville, MO (Z1) - View details
ACTIVE - Owned by individuals or organizations:
NOT ACTIVE - Previous installations under IDA Missouri program
- Gateway Arch National Park (Z2) - View details